HKCareers International Finance/ Business Internship Terms and Conditions
These Terms and Conditions apply to all applicants on the Program.
Definitions and Construction
1. In this Agreement the following terms shall have the following meanings unless otherwise specified:
“Commencement Date” means the date that the Program begins;
“Company” means E&C Consulting Limited of Room 14B Henfa Commercial Building 348-350 Lockhart Road, Hong Kong;
“Host Company” means one of the Partnering Companies with which the Student is placed as an intern in United Kingdom/ Australia during the course of the Program;
“Internship” means the unpaid work experience at a Host Company subject to any contract entered into between the Parties;
“Parties” means the Company and the Student;
“Partnering Company/Companies” mean(s) the company/companies in London with which the Student will be interviewed for the purposes of the Program;
“Placement Deadline” means 21 days before the Commencement Date;
“Program” means the internship program organised by the Company, where the Student is placed as an intern at a Host Company;
“Program Fee” means the sum of the Deposit and the remaining balance, payable by the Student to the Company in accordance with the clauses of this Agreement;
“Student” means the applicant of the Program.
2. Headings are inserted to the various sections to make this Agreement easier to read and understand. These headings do not affect the legal construction or interpretation of this Agreement.
The Company’s Undertakings
3. In return for receipt of the Program Fee, the Company shall undertake the following:
a. To arrange placement for the Student and a Partnering Company/Partnering Companies for an Internship;
b. To provide administrative support in obtaining the relevant and required visa from the United Kingdom/ Australia for the Program;
c. To provide administrative support in obtaining a Certificate of Sponsorship/ a relevant visa for the Student for the purpose of the Program;
d. To provide briefings to the Student to meet other participants of the Program prior to the commencement of the Program;
e. To provide a student residence of a twin-bed room situated in London, United Kingdom or Sydney/ Melbourne, Australia, shared with a person of the Student’s gender (“the Student’s Residence”);
f. To provide transportation from the Airport to the Student’s Residence on the Commencing Date;
g. To organise optional social programs for the Student to meet other participants of the Program;
h. To provide a 24/7 Emergency Contact number; and
i. To provide feedback to the Student from the Supervisor(s) of the Host Company;
4. For the avoidance of doubt, the Company shall only be responsible for and are only bound to provide the services and matters set out in Clause 3 above.
5. The Company shall retain all rights to reject the application of any person deemed unsuitable for the Program, at its own and absolute discretion.
Deposit, Program Fee and Refund
6. The Student shall pay a sum of HKD5,000 upon official enrolment as deposit (“Deposit”). The Deposit is for the sole purpose of reserving the Student’s position in the Program and covering certain related administrative expenses. Upon receiving the Deposit, the Company agrees to organise interviews/ placement matching for the Student with a Partnering Company/Partnering Companies for an internship by the Placement Deadline.
7. Upon payment of the Deposit, the Student agrees to fully co-operate with the Company in its attempts obtain an internship offer for the Student for the Program and until the Placement Deadline. Examples of non-cooperation include, but are not limited to, missing scheduled interviews, and not responding to the Company’s communications in a timely manner. If the Company determines, in its sole discretion, that the Student has not fully co-operated in the placement process at any time before the Placement Deadline, the Deposit shall not be refunded.
8. If the Company is unable to place the Student in an internship role in the preferred career industries after the Placement Deadline, the Student will be given the option to drop out of the Program and receive a refund of the Deposit.
9. You will have three opportunities to reject an offer. Invitation to an interview is counted as an offer. You are however reminded that there is not an unlimited number of internships open to you, and once rejected it’s not possible to return the company if nothing better comes up. If you withdraw from the Program after using up all three opportunities to reject offers, the company will be entitled to 100% of your Initial Deposit.
9. If the Student withdraws from the Program for any reason before obtaining any internship offer, prior to the placement deadline, the deposit is not refundable because the Company would have edited the Student's CV and taken necessary actions to arrange placement matching.
10. If the Student withdraws from the Program for any reason after being placed with a Host Company but before the remaining Program Fee is paid, the Deposit shall not be refunded. The Student’s acceptance of a Host Company’s internship offer shall be counted as being placed with a Host Company.
11. If the Student withdraws from the Program for any reason after being placed with a Host Company and after the remaining Program Fee is paid, both the Deposit and the remaining Program Fee shall not be refunded.
12. The Company shall endeavour to obtain a Certificate of Sponsorship for the Student for the purpose of the Program. However, in the event that a Student obtains an internship from a Host Company but a Certificate of Sponsorship is not issued to the Student, the Deposit shall not be refunded.
13. If the Student is refused an appropriate visa or suitable alternative by the Local Authorities, the Deposit shall not be refunded. The Program Fee excluding the Deposit portion shall be refunded if the Student filled out all and any visa forms correctly, and completed all and any steps in the required visa process correctly and on time. Deposit shall not be refunded if the Program is delayed or the internship is cancelled due to the Student’s tardiness in completing the necessary visa requirements.
14. In the event that HKSAR government issues a Red Travel Warning to the country where the internship takes place, the program fee excluding the deposit will be refundable. If a HKSAR government issues the Black Travel Warning to the country where the internship takes place, 100% of program fee will be refundable.
15. All requests for refunds shall be received in writing within 30 days of withdrawal. Any refund will be issued after deducting any bank transfer costs and administrative costs.
16. Program Fee excluding the Deposit shall be paid in a one-off payment. All Program Fee must be paid on or before the due date stated in the invoice issued by the Company. If the Student fails to pay the Program Fee on or before the due date, he/she shall receive none of the benefits of the Program, including, but not limited to, placement in a confirmed Program and accommodation.
Variation of the Program
17. Any request to change the dates of the Program made by the Student shall be refused unless previously agreed by the Parties.
18. If the Host Company wishes to terminate the Student’s placement prior to the end of the Program as a result of his/her inadequate participation or repeated absence from work, the Program Fee including the Deposit shall not be refunded. The Company is under no obligation to provide another internship placement. In such a case, the Student is still entitled to the accommodation for the remaining period.
19. If the Student wishes to terminate the internship at the Host Company prior to the end of the Program for any reason, the Student shall provide the Company and the Host Company with written notice stating the reasons for such a decision. The Program Fee including the Deposit shall not be refunded. The Company is under no obligation to provide another internship placement. In such a case, the Student shall leave the provided accommodation within 2 days of being informed by the Company.
20. If, for whatever reason, the Company must cancel the Student’s participation in the program prior to the starting of the Program, a full refund of the Program Fee excluding the Deposit shall be given only if cancellation is for reasons which are in no way whatsoever attributable to the Student. No compensation can be given for any other costs incurred in relation to the Program, including but not limited to the flight tickets and insurance.
21. No compensation shall be given for cancellation of flights or any other costs whatsoever incurred by the Student
The Student’s Undertakings
22. The Student shall ensure all information given in the application of the Program and the visa from the United Kingdom / Australia is accurate and complete.
23.The Student shall obtain any required visa from the United Kingdom / Australia for the Program at his/her own cost.
24.International flights are not included in the cost of the Program. The Student shall be responsible for paying for the return flight from Hong Kong to United Kingdom / Australia. The Company shall endeavour to arrange all participants of the Program get on the same return flight from Hong Kong to United Kingdom / Australia but the Company shall not be held responsible in case this cannot be done. The Company shall not be held responsible for any action, negligence or event relating to the purchase or operation of flight tickets or flights. The Company shall also not be responsible for any costs or refunds due to changes or delays in flights.
Complying with Rules and Local Laws
25. The student shall take full responsibility for his/her conduct at all times during the Program. The Student shall not act irresponsibly nor break the law of the United Kingdom or Australia. The Student shall not put himself/herself or others in dangerous situations. If the Student does any of the above he/she shall be responsible for the consequences.
26. In situations where the Student does not comply with the rules of the Host Company or rules of the Program or the law of the United Kingdom or Australia, the Student may be released from the Program and no refund shall be granted and he/she shall leave the provided accommodation within 2 days of being informed by us.
27. The Company reserves the right to expel, at its sole discretion, any Participant from the Program for reasons including but not limited to: breaking the law; bullying or harassment of other participants; anti-social or unreasonable behaviour or unfit conduct towards other participants or the Host Company or excessive absence from work. Whether an act is reflective of any of the ways set out above, shall be determined by the Company on its sole discretion. The Company retains the right to immediately vacate the Student from his/her accommodation and cancel his/her participation in the Program in such instances.
28. If the Student should deem the accommodation which has been provided to him/her to be unsuitable, he/she shall notify within 48 hours of the start of his/her first day. Any complaints about the unsuitability of accommodation arising 48 hours after the start of the Student’s first day in that accommodation shall be dealt with at the discretion of the Company.
29. The Student shall not have any guest to stay in the accommodation. In the event that a guest stays in homestay accommodation without the Company’s prior consent, the Student may be required to leave the provided accommodation within 48 hours of being informed by the Company.
30. The Company reserves the right to make charges for any missing or damaged items or for any additional cleaning or repair charges to accommodation that may be incurred during the Program. The Student agrees to pay these charges in full to us within 14 days of finishing the Program.
Interning at the Host Company
31. The Student shall carry out his/her duties as an intern to the best of his/her ability and discuss the content and/or any problem of the internship with the Host Company and the Company. The Company shall endeavour to resolve any issue accordingly.
32. The Company takes no responsibility and shall not be liable for:
a. any case of injury, accident, claim, theft, damage, sickness, cancellation or loss, in relation to its/their services;
b. any accident, sickness, loss, damage, expense or hazard encountered throughout the Program;
c. any third-party behaviour or actions including but not limited to that of the Host Company and accommodation provider; and
d. any accidents that take place at any third-party locations including but not limited to the premises of the Host Company and the designated accommodation.
33. The Student shall be held responsible and liable for any damages to the Host Company or accommodation provider during the Program.
Liability for Losses
34. The Company shall take no responsibility or liability for loss of or damage to the Student’s passport or any other personal property at any part of the visa process, during transit or during registration with the local authorities.
35. The Company shall take no responsibility or liability for Program changes or Program cancellations under any of the following circumstances: war or threat of war; terrorism or threat of terrorism; fire; sickness; environmental or climate concerns; acts of government or local authority; or any other event or circumstance which amounts to a “force majeure” and in such cases no refund or compensation for any loss shall be given unless otherwise decided at our sole discretion.
36. The Company’s maximum liability, under all circumstances, is limited to the Deposit or Program Fee the Student has paid.
37. In instances where the Host Company demands it, the Student shall sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement with the Host Company. Regardless of whether or not the Host Company provider requires a written Non-Disclosure Agreement, the Student shall respect and keep confidential the intellectual property of the Host Company.
Website and Promotional Material
38. The content and information displayed on the Company’s website and other promotional material are believed to be valid and correct but the Company shall not be held liable and does not take responsibility for any misinformation or ambiguities in the content.
39. The Company reserves the right to take or use the Student’s photograph or video footage for promotional purposes with the Student’s prior consent.
40. This Agreement is made for the benefit of the parties, and is not intended to benefit any third-party or be enforceable by any third party. The rights of the parties to terminate, rescind, or agree any amendment, waiver, variation or settlement under or relating to this Agreement are not subject to the consent of any third party.
41. If any part of this agreement is found unenforceable, invalid or illegal, the provision shall apply with the minimum modification necessary to make it enforceable, valid or legal and the parties shall negotiate in good faith to amend such provision such that, as amended, it is enforceable, valid or legal, and, to the greatest extent possible, achieves the parties’ original commercial intention. The validity and enforceability of the other provisions of the Agreement shall not be affected.
42. This terms and conditions is governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (“Hong Kong”). The Parties irrevocably submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of Hong Kong.